Thine + Write.law Practice Basic Checklist for New Lawyers
What practical, everyday skills make it easier for today's lawyer to begin building a successful legal career? We've partnered with Write.law to share this list of the basics.
While substantive legal knowledge is important, there's also quite a bit of professional skill that can serve today's lawyers well. With the help of law professor and nationally-known legal writing and practice skills trainer, Joe Regalia, we've created this guide to help the modern lawyer think about the basic skills needed to launch a strong legal practice, complete with tips and resources to dig deeper into your own skill development.
In this guide:
Leverage fundamental tools.
- Mastering Microsoft Word
- Mastering Excel basics
- Email with excellence
Get tech savvy.
- Learning software day 1
- Learning conferencing tools
- Understand VPN and remote tools
- Protecting data and information
Harness the power of visualization.
- Crafting useful documents
- Create excellent presentations
Build authentic relationships.
- Seeking and listening to feedback
- Bringing yourself to work
- Seizing networking opportunities
- Seeking mentors and allies
Put your best foot forward.
- Using institutional knowledge
- Learning policies and procedures
- Coming with a recommendation
- Adding value
- Matching preferences
- Being smarter about legal and fact research
- Managing files well
- Mastering the verbal download
- Managing time
- Handling projects like a pro
. . . and more.